Sunday, April 3, 2011

spring!

it finally feels like spring has arrived in vienna! the weekend has been sunny and warm and i just hope that it's here to stay (although you know what they say about april showers... or does that just apply to the uk?!). we spent saturday leisurely shopping for groceries and household stuff but it was just nice to wander around the shops and enjoy the sunshine (i even got my bare legs out for the first time this year! it was a good feeling).

we tried out a new place for lunch... milo cafe/restaurant at the museums quartier. we sat outside and i didn't realise (until i just googled the cafe) how lovely the ceiling is inside (will have to sit inside next time!).
we chose two dishes and shared them. the first is the mediterranean antipasti plate and the second is broccoli and potato quiche. we really enjoyed both dishes (and it reminded me how i must try and make quiche myself at home!). from googling milo and reading various sites, it appears other people thought the food was a bit pricey for what you get. and i agree, it isn't cheap (mains ranged from about €9-€18). but i don't think it is particularly any more pricey than other cafes/restaurants offering similar style food. and i guess you're paying a little for the location too. it is a nice place to sit even for just a drink.
we then spent the evening at lovely sarah's apartment who hosted a dinner party last night. it was a really great evening with delicious food (a jamie oliver spring chicken stew - see, i'm not the only person obsessed with cooking his recipes!) and good conversation.

we went to bed with good intentions of getting up and going for a run this morning (i REALLY need to lose some weight and get back into shape a bit) but anyone that knows me well will know that the run didn't happen and a lie in until midday was much more appealing. kev and i then spent the rest of the day giving the apartment a bit of a spring clean (kev even cleaned the windows!) so the place is looking all lovely and sparkly and clean. we rewarded our hard work with roast chicken, roasted new potatoes (with rosemary and garlic) and salad for dinner (oh, and a nice cold beer). it tasted like spring!

5 comments:

  1. lovely- I like the little mushroom salt/pepper shakers- so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love to see what you're eating. It all looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there!

    I hope you don't mind me getting in touch. I found your details on your blog and I hope you might be able to help me with my strange request…

    I am a Producer working on a television show called House Hunters International which follows English speaking expats in their quest to purchase a house abroad. I am hoping to find expats to profile who have moved to Vienna. I wonder if you or any of your expat contacts might be interested in getting involved?! Please find a little blurb about the show below:

    House Hunters International is a half-hour program currently airing on the Home and Garden Television Network (HGTV) in America.
    The series is designed to de-mystify the international home-buying process by going behind the scenes of a house hunt where buyers and their real estate agents tour 3 homes.

    At its core, House Hunters International is a travel show concentrating on the idiosyncrasies of the locales and what makes them special and different.

    You can watch some examples of the show here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh0Q6DYe3QM - London from South Africa (1600 series) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLmhKEzm5kg - Dubai from Illinois (2000 series)


    Please get in touch if you have any more questions about the show. I look forward to hearing from you!

    Best wishes and many thanks,

    Michelle



    Michelle James
    ASSOCIATE PRODUCER LEOPARD FILMS
    1-3 St Peter's Street, London N1 8JD - +44 20 7704 3300
    michelle.james@leopardfilms.com
    www.leopardfilms.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    I am new to your blog but I love it! I am American and moving to Vienna in September and your blog is very helpful. I would love to get in touch with you and ask some more specific questions I have about my move there.
    Hope to speak with you soon!

    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for your comments everyone!

    eva - glad you're enjoying reading. would love to help if i can. email me at kerrysmith78@googlemail.com with any questions you have!

    ReplyDelete